January 13, 2012

The Ticketybook Club - chapter 2

I had been reading rave reviews for Mindy Kaling's book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), for months before I finally added it to my Christmas list. Luckily, my fella loves not having to guess at gifts and, come Christmas morning, there it was under my tree.



Given that the people who seemed to love the book were smart, funny gals, it came as no surprise to me AT ALL that the book itself was smart, funny and as girl-friendly as the pink sweater dress pictured on the cover. Fans of The Office, will know Mindy Kaling as the somewhat shallow, often acerbic (but still rather endearing) Kelly Kapoor. I was relieved to discover that Mindy is not completely like her TV counterpart, but much more like someone who I would want to be friends with. 

In this candid, hilarious, and sometimes self-depreciating collection of essays and lists, Mindy invites the reader into her busy world of comedy writing, acting, dating, eating and just, well... hanging out. It's a quick, clever read and had me laughing out loud on several occasions. This was the perfect bedtime book because I hit the pillow smiling every time I had to put it down. 

If you are looking for a sordid tale of drug-addiction, freaky sex and Hollywood scandal, this is not your best choice. If you are looking for a sordid tale of drug-addiction, freaky sex and Hollywood scandal, well... shame on you. Go watch TMZ.

Title: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Athor: Mindy Kaling
Genre: comedy, non-fiction
Number of pages: 240 (hardcover)
Good for: funny chicks
Sex, coarse language, violence: not really, no

No comments:

Post a Comment