February 14, 2012

Love, love!

Love is... lamb chops? 

With Valentine's Day falling on a Tuesday this year, we decided to celebrate it over two days: a sushi date (for two) on Saturday night, and dinner at home (for three)on the 14th. Since the loves of my life are both carnivores*, I decided to make lamb for them and a sans-agneau option for myself. 

Preparations for this most-fancy of meals started on Monday night. While the mascot whipped up a raspberry version of his signature "Dreamsicle Mousse", I busied myself with chopping fresh rosemary, lemon zest and garlic. Or, to be more accurate, LOTS of rosemary, lemon zest and garlic, which I bravely rubbed into the six little lamb chops. 


The scent that filled the kitchen was heavenly, so I can only assume that the finished chops will be as well. I have to admit, I haven't cooked much lamb in my lifetime, but what I have made has always been very well-received. And, really, how can you go wrong with ingredients like that?

As for my own entree, I am doing a simple vegetarian "chicken" scallopini with oyster and crimini mushrooms. The rest of the meal will be rounded out with baby potatoes, asparagus (too obvious?), fancy baby carrots, salad and, of course, the Mascot's lovely dessert. Start to finish, it should only take me about 30 minutes to pull it all together, which will leave plenty of time for present opening and unbridled declarations of love. But mostly present opening.


The Menu
Grilled Lamb Chops with Garlic, Rosemary & Lemon
or
Vegetarian Scallopini with Oyster & Crimini Mushrooms
Pan-roasted Baby Potatoes   Mushroom Gravy
Asparagus    Baby Carrots    Salad
Raspberry Mousse



Watch my blog, Relish, for recipes and more photos.


*...but tofu-friendly carnivores!

No comments:

Post a Comment