July 18, 2010

The Return of Shop Girl.

As part of our membership in "the collective", we each have to work a certain number of hours in the store. For me, that means two Saturdays (12-5) and two Thursdays (5:30-9). To be honest, at first I thought that it was too much of a commitment for me and the 20 or so hours per month would be time that I could spend doing other stuff.

It turns out, though, that the two shifts I worked this week were 10 of my most-productive hours, as far as crafting time was concerned. I brought my 75% finished pillows with me on Thursday night and managed to hand-stitch them all shut and attach their hang-tags. And, as I finished each one, I just walked over and added them to my display and by the end of the night, I had quite an impressive stack.

I didn't add anything new to my display yesterday, but I did manage to organize a bunch of stuff, finish some necklace cords, make a few new scrabble tile pendant bases, and fix 3 necklaces that have been dogging me for ages. If I had been home, I never would have done any of that...the lure of the lawnmower, dishwasher, laundry room and (ok, I'll admit it) couch would have been too great.

That said, I would have been just as happy...or even happier...if I had been too busy with customers to work on stuff, but that'll come in time, once word gets out.

No comments:

Post a Comment