March 7, 2012

Day 7 - Something I Wore


If I didn't love you, I wouldn't show you a picture of my sweaty tank top from today's yoga class. Really. This is how my people express affection.

I have been doing Moksha (hot yoga) for only a couple of months, but I feel like I have been doing it forever. As soon as my body hits my mat to soak up a few precious minutes of pre-class savasana, I feel calm and grounded. Once I'm on my feet, however, I take on a level of focus that surprises even me. It's amazing how quickly an hour passes when my mind is cleared of all thoughts... other than guiding my body through the movements and being mindful of the day's "intention". 

The intentions are set at the beginning of the class by the instructor and then it is up to the rest of us to apply them to our practice. Last Saturday, the intention was to simply "smile" during the class. At first I thought that it was a bit of a non-intention, but once we were well into our flows, I realized that I had been missing some of the joy that is supposed to come hand-in-hand with all of the hard work. Busting out a smile at the peak of a posture let me take it even further. My tree grew higher and my dancer danced like never before. Could it be that I have been taking myself too seriously in there?

Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment