March 17, 2011

Let's start the bidding at $50

Bidding is now open to the public for the Habitat for Humanity ReStore ReCreate art sale silent auction.

To participate in the event, artists had to take items from the ReStore and recycle/upcycle them into something new and fabulous. I spent my project allowance on a vintage school chair and a ball of jute twine and came up with this:



The seat and back of the chair have been decoupaged with pages from a vintage gardening book, flowers cut from a slightly younger (read: 1960s) gardening book and assorted pieces of ephemera from my own collection. After placing all of the elements with good ol' Mod Podge*, the chair was given several coats of sealant and satin varnish, and then the legs were wrapped with the jute twine. I am so happy with how it turned out and have since purchased a second chair to make-over (and keep)!

Auction items are available for viewing and bidding at the ReStore on Archibald until Saturday. For those who can’t make it down, all of the pieces can also be viewed online and bids will be accepted by phone until Saturday at 4pm. For more information and a link to the auction’s Flickr page, please visit the Habitat for Humanity (Manitoba) website.

Update: as of last night at 6pm, my little chair was already up to $75! I can't wait to see how high it will go...




* There I go giving away all my secrets!

5 comments:

  1. That is an awesomely fabulous chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it as well! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chair! And it makes me skip a happy dance to see artists use their talents for others. I am going to link back to you from my blog, if you don't mind. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! And thanks!!

    I'm still waiting to hear how much it managed to fetch in the auction...

    ReplyDelete