January 14, 2010

How far would you go?

I few days ago, I received a message from a girl who saw me at the TAYGCS sale at the Park theatre last month. She was looking for a specific quote ("Knitting takes balls.") on a magnet for her friend. I didn't have it in stock, but I was able to quickly make one up for her. Because she's local, she was able to stop by my office yesterday afternoon to pick it up. Easy-peasy!

The thing that struck me was that she was willing to drive out of her way to come and get a $6 magnet. But, really, I guess it's no different than me driving out to the scrapbooking store down Pembina Highway for a piece of paper or to the St Norbert Farmer's Market for a couple ears of corn. Compared to other places, Winnipeg's not all that big. I wonder if the same would be true irf I lived anywhere else. Would customers drive from, say, North Vancouver to Langley to pick up a pin...or a mirror? How far would you go to support a local business?

1 comment:

  1. To answer your question.. I think it would depend on the busines. I often go to Granville Island, just to see what artists are showing.... but then again there is no bridge involved there - which I avoid if I can... but driving 30 - 40 min if it was really unique no problem. But knowing me I would buy 4 not just one!

    ReplyDelete