August 8, 2011

Welcome to The Dollhouse

One of the things that I look forward to most every summer is visiting my fella's parents' farm in Saskatchewan and getting there via sleepy ol' Highway 2. The scenery is pretty typical for the prairies - wide open spaces, big sky and the occasional roadside attraction.

My favourite attraction (besides the Souris Subway) is the life-sized "dollhouse" which sits just off the highway, right before the Saskatchewan border. Oddly, although we've driven past it about a dozen times, we've only stopped once to take pictures. That much-anticipated (and long-awaited occasion) was just over a week ago...



I was so surprised (literally - blink and you'll miss it!) when my fella pulled over to give me a closer look. The house is cute from the highway, but the real magic is seen from the back side. It's a shame to think that most people will drive right by, many not noticing it there at all.







According to the artist, Heather Bennett, the house will remain standing for as long as it is safe. If you happen to find yourself travelling along Highway 2 in the near future, be sure to stop at the Souris Subway for a sandwich and then keep your eyes peeled for the Dollhouse. It really is a little unexpected roadside delight.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That's awesome. The back is truly a gem. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for it if I ever happen to travel that highway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing. I want one too :)

    ReplyDelete